A three-story building along Odubanwo Street, off Olaniyi Street, Gbinrinmi in the Ojokoro Local Council Development Area of Lagos was completely destroyed by a cooking gas explosion. A girl, identified as 4-year-old Faridat Shittu, and her grandparents are currently in critical condition at the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital (LASUTH).

It was discovered that the oil ignited when the grandma was frying meat.
It was also found that all attempts to put out the fire had failed, causing the cooking gas to explode.

According to information obtained, the event occurred at about 2:00 pm when the little child was asleep in her room. Later, people of the community extinguished the fire and saved the victims.

Ibrahim Farinloye, Territorial Coordinator for the South-West, National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), verified the incidence. According to Farinloye, the explosion’s force turned the 14-room and shop structure to ruins, forcing around 11 families to flee their homes.

The landlord, Pa Femi Odubanwo Solomon, disclosed that neighbours saved him from dying in the incident as he was initially trapped. “I am presently squatting in a church opposite my destroyed house,” the Landlord stated.


Source: ViewPoint Housing News