The Minister of Works and Housing, Mr. Babatunde Fashola (SAN), said on Thursday that 7, 315 applications for its National Housing Programme had been received one week after the launch.
This means the number of applications is higher than the available housing units by 2,315.
Fashola, disclosed this when he appeared before the Senate Committee on Housing.
He was in the Senate to brief the lawmakers about the housing programme, launched last Friday in Abuja.
Fashola said, “Out of the over 7,315 applications received from Nigerians as of noon on Thursday, 7,216 were pending, while 99 had been submitted successfully.
“While 24 applications had been submitted from the Federal Capital Territory, no single application had been received from about 20 states.”
Fashola said certain requirements were required to be met for Nigerians to qualify for allocation of the houses.
He listed the requirements for eligibility to include provision of a current tax clearance, payment slip, and means of identification.